Daisypath Anniversary tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Saturday, December 4, 2010

Looking back on the first year

Now that I have posted all the fun pics, I wanted to blog about looking back on the first year with the girls. Just a way to remember how I felt one year into it...

First - I am just glad we all survived! It has been a tiny bit crazy. Remebering getting wheeled out of the hospital with 2 babies in my arms and thinking "What the heck am I suppose to do now!" I felt like Shawn and I got thrown into the deep end of parenting with no swim lessons!
Being a new mom must be overwhelming for anyone, but trying to do everything times 2 seemed pretty much impossible at the beginning. But we always have said we will just take it one day at a time, and just try to get to the next bedtime :)
And here we are 1 year later...several bedtimes later...

I can't believe how much we have learned. I definitely would not say we have this parenting thing down, but I am so proud of us and how far we have come. I think we make a great team.
The things I have been most surprised with in the first year:

1. The sleep deprivation! I know everyone says you don't get much sleep, but I never would have imagined this! With 2 babies taking turns getting teeth, getting colds, having an off night - whatever - one of them is basically always awake. It seems like sleep is a distant memory. I feel pretty excited if I get 4 hours in a row. I can't believe I can function most days.

2. Being a mom is painful - I mean physically painful - I get bit, scratched, head butted in the face, hit in tantrums. I trip on stuff and stub my toes in the dark in the middle of the night. I sometimes feel so beat up with bruises and marks all over!

3. As a mom you never have alone time, but sometimes you feel really lonely. I am with the girls all day (I would not have it any other way) but this means I have very little adult interaction and I don't get out as much as I want to. My mom uniform has been yoga pants and t-shirts and the most conversation I get a day is usually by facebook! It can be very isolating, which is very different for me.

4. The days are long but the years are short - someone at church said this to me, and I think of it often. Some days are so hard and so long that I am just counting the minutes until Shawn gets home to help me. But then it feels like a blink of an eye and my girls are so big.

5. Lastly, I have figured out in the past year, that I was destined to be a mom...I love this role, it is everything I hoped, wished, dreamed and waited so long for. I love to see my girls each morning (even on no sleep) I love to hold and kiss them (even when they are biting me) and I love our time just the 3 of us girls to play, sing songs and laugh. I have never felt so much joy, and I am so blessed by my Heavenly Father to get to be a mom to Olive & Parker...

I often say to myself, "Everyday may not be great, but I am grateful for everyday"
Love you girls - my whole heart full!

3 comments:

Juliann said...

Oh you said it all so well!! For any mom!! I especially can relate to getting roughed up physically. haha I think I've broken my toe twice in the past 3 years!
But my very, very favorite thing you said was #5. Isn't it amazing after it's all said and done, as hard & crazy as it is, that you just know this is what you were meant to do? I'm right there with ya!! And you are a great mom!!!

Unknown said...

You are an amazing wife and mom! I couldn't ask for anything more. You are so patient and you are so good with the girls. They love you so much. Watching you with them is a dream come true. I love seeing "my girls" laugh. Thanks for being such a great wife and an amazing mom. I know that with you on my side I can and we can do anything! I love you and thanks for all that you do. The girls are truely blessed to have you as their mommy. I love you!

Summer said...

Seriously, I feel that way with ONE! You said it all so well. I like you never knew how much I would truly love being a mom. Thanks for all the updated pics too!